When trying to decide what to cook for your next meal, you’re often faced with two choices. You can choose the healthy option or you can choose the delicious option. But the two seldom overlap… unless you’re in the mood to prepare something fancy and gourmet. But my idea of gourmet is anything that actually requires turning on oven, so I’m gonna say that one is a no-go. And let’s be honest, “traditional” healthy lunches get boring very, very quickly. Spinach salads and green smoothies are bitter, mundane and hardly enough to get me through the day. So, whilst trying to come up with a meal that would keep our stomachs satisfied, but would still leave us somewhat excited to feed ourselves, we thought of a classic: the chicken salad sandwich. We didn’t exactly create it (obviously) but we’ve made a few changes to the beloved fan favorite that we know you’ll enjoy just a little bit more! So whip out all of the ingredients below and get dicing, mixing and best of all, eating ’till you’re heart- and stomach- are content!
-Bread of choice (We prefer whole wheat!)
-2 cups of chopped cooked chicken breast
-½ cup of chopped celery
-½ cup of purple onion
-1-2 handfuls of cranberries
-1-2 handfuls of chopped walnuts
-1 teaspoon of lemon juice
-A pinch of salt
-A pinch of pepper
-½-1 cup of mayonnaise (Use greek yogurt if you’re feeling extra healthy!)
-A spoonful of Dijon Mustard
-A couple pieces of lettuce
1. Put the chopped up chicken, celery and onions in a bowl.
2. Add the cranberry and walnuts.
3. Season the mixture with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
4. Place the mayonnaise and mustard in a separate bowl.
5. Add ingredients from the first bowl to the second bowl.
6. Stir the mixture thoroughly.
7. Toast your bread (optional).
8. Place a generous amount of chicken salad onto bread.
9. Top off the sandwich with a few pieces of lettuce.
10. Dig in!
XOXO~ Cara & Tal